These dehydrated pear crisps were one of those recipes that came about because I was actually missing my usual ingredients – apples! Now don’t get me wrong, we all know that apples and cinnamon are a perfect match, but I adore the extra sweetness from using pears and they make an even better combination with the cinnamon and spices!
Do you have a sweet tooth but are trying to cut down on the sugary treats? Well dehydrated / dried fruit can be awesome to satisfy those cravings but still stick to your health and nutrition goals. You’re making this yourself so you know the fruit has no nasty preservatives, oils or extra sugars added to it. And the cinnamon, it not only tastes good, it also helps to lower blood glucose levels and improves insulin sensitivity! That makes this recipe a double-win! Satisfies your 3pm sugar cravings AND helps your metabolism! As the daughter of a naturopath, food has always been about more than just taste. Good nutrition can help to heal you from the inside out – it’s just awesome when it tastes amazing too 😀
This recipe is super simple: pears, cinnamon, all spice & time!
After much searching on Google and reading numerous reviews, I decided quite a while ago to invest in an Excalibur Dehydrator (9 tray). I use it to dry fresh herbs, to make sun-dried tomatoes, kale crisps, various vegetable chips, raw crackers, nut meals, a range of fruits and a whole heap of other homemade ingredients and treats. It has been well worth the investment in my opinion and if you can, I would definitely recommend getting one. I can’t comment on other dehydrators but there are a range of types and sizes on the market; or, if you’re not ready yet to commit to a dehydrator, you can always try using your oven at very low temperatures instead (some further instructions here).
Start by washing and thinly slicing your pears into no more than 2mm thick slices (about x8 slices). Pears that are a little on the riper side are best as they will be sweeter than hard pears. Use a small knife to cut out the seeds, stem and ends of the pear slices.
Lay the slices on the dehydrator sheets making sure not to place them too closely together or overlap them.
Evenly sprinkle over a tiny bit of all spice and about ½ a teaspoon of cinnamon so the slices are evenly coated. I just eyeball the spices depending on how much I like – a little bit of spice and lots of cinnamon! Add as much according to your tastes.
These pear slices are paleo, gluten free, refined-sugar free, vegan, preservative free and raw! I like to take a handful in an air-tight zip-lock bag or container to work and snack on them with roast nuts (almonds especially!). They also make a great snack to take with you when travelling – enjoy! 🙂
Dehydrated Cinnamon Spiced Pear Crisps
Yield 56 Crisps / Slices
- 7 Pears, thinly sliced
- All Spice (~a pinch per pear)
- Ground Cinnamon (~1/2 Teaspoon per pear)
- Start by washing and thinly slicing your pears into no more than 2mm thick slices (about x8 slices per pear). Pears that are a little on the riper side are best as they will be sweeter than hard pears. Use a small knife to cut out the seeds, stem and ends of the pear slices.
- Lay the pear slices on the dehydrator sheets making sure not to place them too closely together or overlap them.
- Evenly sprinkle over a tiny bit of all spice and about ½ a teaspoon of cinnamon so the slices are evenly coated. Add as much spice according to your tastes.
- Dehydrate at 135 degrees (Fahrenheit) for 18 hours.
- Store dehydrated pear slices in glass containers for up to 3 months.
These sweet pear crisps go perfectly with dry roasted almonds! Click here for the recipe.
Serving Size 4 Crisps / Slices
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Sodium 1 mg
Total Carbohydrates 12.9 g
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
Sugars 8.1 g
Protein 0.3 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Recommended Recipe Products
Use Promo Code WELCOME5 to receive $5 off your first order with iHerb! For healthy (gluten-free, paleo, primal, organic) groceries at affordable prices shipped WORLDWIDE click here!